With the draft just ending and July 1’s free agency period just around the corner, teams are very busy addressing their team and figuring out how they can strengthen them. Some teams will be taking big shots at the large and talented free agent crop while other teams will be looking for role players to fill in open spots. Here are the latest rumors going around the league:
- The Senators may be the frontrunner for Rick Nash. Their latest offer to Columbus included Ben Bishop, Nick Foligno, and Mika Zibanejad.
- The San Jose Sharks have put together an offer for Nash that included Ryan Clowe, Joe Pavelski, Jason Demers, and a 1st round draft pick, but that trade is unlikely to go through.
- The Rangers have hit a wall with Columbus on Rick Nash because of what GM Glen Sather calls “laughable demands”.
- New Jersey may make a play at Rick Nash, depending on if they are able to resign UFA forward Zach Parise and how much the potential deal would cost them.
- Expect New Jersey, Pittsburgh, Minnesota, among others to make offers towards Zach Parise. Minnesota may be the favorite as of now as he was born and raised in Minnesota and his family is in the area.
- Ducks Bobby Ryan recently voiced his disappointment on how the ownership has treated him and wants to be traded out of Anaheim.
- Philadelphia seems like the most likely target for Ryan. The Flyers would have to give up defenseman Brandon Coburn in the deal.
- Penguins GM Ray Shero believes he can sign UFA defenseman Ryan Suter. Shero has a connection with him as he was the assistant GM in Nashville for 8 seasons.
- To make room on the roster for Suter, Ray Shero has been shopping defenseman Paul Martin.
- The Canucks have been shopping Roberto Luongo in favor of Cory Schneider starting in net. Toronto was an early favorite but it is rumored Luongo has refused to waive his NTC for the them or Chicago. He would lift it to go back to the Florida Panthers.
- The Coyotes may be shopping defenseman Keith Yandle for a center. The New York Rangers are very interested and Brandon Dubinsky would be available.
- St. Louis and Tampa Bay would also be interested in trading for Yandle if the price is right.
- St. Louis has been having contract negotiations going on with RFA forwards T.J. Oshie and David Perron. They are hoping to have the deal done soon.
- St. Louis along with Vancouver have interest in Florida defenseman Jason Garrison.
- Tampa Bay GM Steve Yzerman is a big fan of Dan Boyle’s game and might try to bring him back to Tampa. Boyle was a part of the Lightning’s 2004 Stanley Cup run and would likely waive his NTC to come back to the city he loved.
- Pittsburgh may also be interested in Boyle.
- Jet’s UFA goaltender Chris Mason wants a multi-year deal to remain in Winnipeg but doesn’t believe it’ll get done before July 1.
- Ondrej Pavelec, Jet’s RFA goaltender, is looking for a new deal. The Jet’s have offered around $3M per season, but Pavelec is looking for around $4M. SKA-St.Petersburg of the KHL has offered him a deal of $5M per season.
- Lubomir Visnovsky, who was acquired by the Islanders at the trade deadline, has spoken to HC Slovan Bratislava of the KHL but no contract has been offered yet.
- Bruins goaltender Tim Thomas has waived his NTC so the team can trade him, but he already said he was going to take the season off. Unless the price is extremely low, don’t expect Thomas to be traded for obvious reasons.
- Boston might make a run for the Flame’s Jay Bouwmeester.
- It is unlikely that Detroit will resign UFA forward Jiri Hudler. They may try to trade his rights before July 1.
- The Montreal Canadiens are quietly shopping defenseman P.K. Subban.
- The Edmonton Oilers are expected to offer Jaromir Jagr a deal. He would play the role of mentoring the Oiler’s young core.
More to Come..
Follow me on Twitter for exclusive news & content!