The trade deadline is now just nine days away. Trades have already fallen into place and we can expect many more this week. Many teams have strengthened their defense while others have added depth and fire power to their offense. Every team has assessed their needs and wants and will go out and pursue their goals.
- The St. Louis Blues have recalled goaltender Ben Bishop as Jaroslav Halak has the flu. This call up might also lead to a trade. Bishop said in an interview that he would welcome a trade.
- The Boston Bruins have sent extension offers to all four of their UFAs. This includes Chris Kelly, Gregory Campbell, Shawn Thornton, and Daniel Paille. They want to know what slot they’ll need to fill if any of these players want to test the free agency market.
- Tampa Bay’s Pavel Kubina hasn’t yet submitted his list of teams he’d accept a trade for. Tampa is keeping him out of the lineup until this is resolved. I will update when he turns in the list.
- The Flyers are finally getting healthy. Jaromir Jagr, James Van Reimsdyk, and Danny Briere are all returning to the lineup today.
- Columbus Blue Jackets’ GM, Scott Howson had a meeting with Philadelphia Flyer’s GM, Paul Holmgren today.
- Los Angeles’ Trent Hunter cleared waivers today.
- The New York Rangers, Detroit Red Wings, Philadelphia Flyers, and Monteral Canadiens are rumored to still be interested in Columbus’ Rick Nash.
- The Dallas Stars and Ottawa Senators look to be ahead in dealing for Columbus’ Jeff Carter, but there may be a dark horse or two to come into the race.
- The Florida Panthers have contacted the Columbus Blue Jackets about Derrick Brassard.
- The Panthers have also talked to the Phoenix Coyotes about defenseman Adrien Aucoin.
- Three teams rumored to be on Kubina’s list of team’s he’d accept a trade to include the Blackhawks, Red Wings, and Flyers.
- The New Jersey Devils are interested in acquiring a defenseman. Possible names include Pavel Kubina, Mark Zidlicky, and Johnny Oduya.
- The Washington Capitals have no interest in trading forward Mike Knuble.
- The Los Angeles Kings may be willing to give up defenseman Jack Johnson in return for a first line forward.
- The Flyers are also looking to add another defenseman even though they just acquired Nicklas Grossman.
- The Oilers may not be willing to part with forwards Ryan Smyth or Sam Gagner.
- The Pittsburgh Penguins have spoken to the Montreal Canadiens about the avaliability of defenseman Andrei Kostitsyn.
- The Boston Bruins and Washington Capitals have been talking though no possible names are floating around.
- The St. Louis Blues might have interest in acquiring defenseman Filip Kuba from the Ottawa Senators.
- The Chicago Blackhawks and Calgary Flames have asked about the avaliability of Capitals’ forward Alexander Semin.
- The Boston Bruins have inquired about Colorado’s Milan Hedjuk even though he has a NTC.
I’ll keep this updated with new information as I hear it!
More to Come..
Follow me on Twitter for exclusive news & content!