We are now just two short weeks away from the NHL trade deadline. Not many moves were made this week as the General Managers were still spending time assessing their teams and getting in a position to either buy or sell. One big trade this week may cause a domino effect and pressure other teams into making moves sooner or different than expected. A lot of today’s rumors go off of last week’s rumors.
- Boston is looking into acquiring star forward Bobby Ryan out of Anaheim but it would require sending either Milan Lucic or David Krejci and stud prospect Dougie Hamilton back.
- Nashville might be in the race to acquire a star forward out of Alexander Semin, Ales Hemsky, Derek Roy, or Jeff Carter. Though this may force them to give up either defensemen UFA Ryan Suter or RFA Shea Weber.
- Los Angeles may push to trade for Jeff Carter in hope to rekindle the chemistry Carter and Mike Richards had together in Philadelphia.
- The New York Rangers are still looking to boost their offense and defense. Some names being thrown around on defense include Anaheim’s Visnovsky or Tampa’s Kubina.
- Buffalo and Calgary have been talking. Derek Roy could be a part of a possible deal.
- Chicago is looking to solidify their goaltending as they’ve lost five games in a row. They are looking into Evgeni Nabokov or might even bring Nikolai Khabibulin back.
- The Philadelphia Flyers are also unhappy with their goaltending situation as Ilya Bryzgalov hasn’t performed up to what he’s capable of. They are also looking into Nabokov.
- Teemu Selanne might waive his no-trade clause to have a shot at winning another Stanley Cup as Anaheim won’t likely qualify for the playoffs.
- The St. Louis Blues are looking to trade Ben Bishop as he will become an UFA if they don’t resign him. He doesn’t fit in St. Louis as Halak and Elliot are putting up amazing numbers.
- Bruins’ Nathan Horton has suffered a setback in recovering from his concussion so the Bruins may be forced to add some depth on offense if he can’t recover.
- Shane Doan has stopped extension talks with the team as he wants stability so Phoenix might try to move him if they feel they won’t be able to resign him after the season.
- Many teams are interested in Hal Gill as he’s been able to shut down opposing team’s top players. The Rangers, Blues, and Devils are near the top of the list.
- The Red Wings have spoken to the Sabres in hope to trade for either Brad Boyes or Paul Gaustad but will only offer draft picks as compensation.
- Dustin Penner has been scratched for the second straight game which is leading to speculation that he is being shopped or a deal is in the works to move him out of Los Angeles.
Many more is to come and change in the next 14 days. This will depend on the standings, injuries, player’s streaks, asking/selling prices, and pressure brought on by winning and other teams making moves. I’ll update whenever new information pops up.
More to Come..
Follow me on Twitter for exclusive news & content!