The NHL Trade Deadline is only 19 days away! Teams are going to either going to be looking to improve their teams for a playoff push or building for the future. The standings mostly dictate which category a team is going to be placed in and what route they’ll take for their future. Though many GM’s won’t want to deal top prospects or draft picks for a player they will only have for one to two seasons, the pressure of winning forces them to do so.
Latest Trade Rumors:
- Oiler’s Ryan Smyth has stated many times he wants to win the Cup in Edmonton. But he may be willing to waive his no-trade clause to try to win a championship this season and resign with the Oilers next season. This would be a win-win for the Oilers as they’d get Smyth back along with the trade compensation.
- The Columbus Blue Jackets might be shopping Rick Nash and/or Jeff Carter. To be dealt, Nash would have to waive his no-trade clause which he may be willing to do.
- If Nash is available, Los Angeles, Chicago, Vancouver, and Toronto may all be in the hunt.
- The Sabres are interested in Los Angeles’ Dustin Brown, but he is most likely not moving anywhere as he is highly valued in the King’s system.
- Star forwards Alexander Semin and Zach Parise are set to become UFAs at the end of the season. The Devils have come out to say Parise won’t be traded before the deadline, but the same cannot be said about Semin. The Capitals may not be able to resign him this offseason so may try to get as much value for him as they can.
- If Semin is available, Detroit may be interested in adding another Russian to their lineup.
- Chicago is going to be very active at the deadline, trying to improve their team at all aspects.
- Both the New York Rangers and New Jersey Devils have interest in Sheldon Souray. Being in the same division, it may be a bidding war so the other team doesn’t obtain Souray.
- Toronto may try to acquire Dustin Penner. Penner has struggled offensively this season and a trade may provide him with a jump start.
- Both the Colorado Avalanche and Florida Panthers are interested in the Montreal Canadiens’ Andrei Kostitisyn to add more depth and talent to their offenses.
- The Philadelphia Flyers, Pittsburgh Penguins, and New Jersey Devils are going to add a defenseman to their roster as the division is very tight and one or two games might decide the difference between several playoff spots.
- The defending Stanley Cup Champion Boston Bruins may try to add Ray Whitney or Jason Blake to try to keep the Cup in Beantown.
- Ottawa and Nashville are also in the hunt for Jason Blake.
- Ales Hemsky may be dealt to Pittsburgh, Nashville, or Detroit for picks and prospects.
- The Lightning may deal Pavel Kubina, Matt Gilroy, Dominic Moore, as they are UFAs at the end of the season. Ryan Malone may be dealt as well if the offer is right and if Malone agrees to waive his NTC.
- Ottawa may be in the search of a new starting goaltender as they’ve struggled since the All-Star break. The top goalies that might be avaliable include Evgeni Nabokov, Jonathan Bernier, and Josh Harding. Count on Senator’s GM Bryan Murray to improve his club any way he can.
- Staying with goaltenders, Vancouver has stated they won’t trade Cory Schneider.
- Detroit may try to add Nabokov to lighten Jimmy Howard’s load. Though currently injured, Howard has played in 44 of the team’s 54 games this season.
Many more is to come and change in the next 19 days. This will depend on the standings, injuries, player’s streaks, asking/selling prices, and pressure. I’ll update whenever new information pops up.
More to Come..
Follow me on Twitter for exclusive news & content!