Steve Yzerman crossed off yet another off-season task this morning by re-signing young, talented, and gritty winger, Steve Downie. After resigning St. Louis and acquiring a goalie (Ellis), this was Yzerman’s highest priority. Last season, Downie played on a line with Marty St. Louis and Steven Stamkos. This trio shined and Downie put up career highs in all categories. Resigning Downie was key because it gives the Lightning a solid first two line combinations that puts them near the top of the list for deadliest offenses in the game. Adding Downie gives Yzerman the speed, skill, and toughness he help turn this franchise around.
- Predators signed Patric Hornqvist to a 3 year, $9.25M contract.
- Canucks sign Raffi Torres to a 1 year, $1M contract.
- Vincent Lecavalier had successful surgery and did not have a torn meniscus as originally thought. He will be recovered from surgery by training camp.
- No deal officially yet for Kovalchuk. The Devils management met with the NHL on Monday to discuss some possible contracts so the next one won’t be denied.
- The Coyotes are close to signing Lee Stempniak, but the Canadiens are still in the mix too.
- The Penguins are going to let Bill Guerin know within the next few days whether or not they are going to bring him back. They are deciding among Guerin, Kariya, and another unnamed foward they would acquire via trade.
- Sheldon Souray believes he is going to be traded. The Capitals, Sharks, Senators, Ducks, and Islanders are all interested. But, it is going to be hard because with Souray comes his heavy cap hit of $5.4M. This is just a little less than Kovalchuk’s probable hit and teams have been struggling with him too.
- The Flames are interested in two main fowards now and are trying as hard as they can to acquire them. Those fowards are Brandon Dubinsky and Jeff Carter. It is said they have very creative packages to send out.