Finally! The Devils and Kovalchuk have reached another deal. They got the deal done last night and submitted it to the NHL today. The league will take up to 24 hours to review it and should be made official tomorrow. It was expected for Kovalchuk to resign with the Devils even after the last contract got declined by the arbitrator. Expect a few trades within the next week to unload some of the salary Kovalchuk is eating up (see below).
- Bryan Little signed an extension with Atlanta.
- Red Wings sign Justin Abdelkader to a 2 year contract.
- Aaron Asham signed a 1 year contact with Pittsburgh.
- Cristobal Huet picked playing in the Swiss league next year over the AHL.
- Vincent Lecavalier had minor arthroscopic surgery on his knee but will be recovered in time for training camp.
- This is a very critical week for Carey Price’s negotiations with the Canadiens. It’s basically a make or break situation. If a deal isn’t done, Price will be traded for a quality foward and the Canadiens would most likely try to sign Antti Niemi.
- It is also a big week for both Bobby Ryan and Paul Kariya. The Ducks should have their decisions made about both by the weeks end.
- The Oilers are interested in Patrick Elias. They are only preliminary talks, but don’t expect Elias to be going anywhere. He also has a no-trade clause.
- The Kings and Leafs are very interested in acquiring Marc Savard. If Savard is moved to Toronto, expect Kaberle to go back in exchange.
- The Bruins are working on a contract extension for current captain Zdeno Chara who will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of next season.
- Toronto is also interested in acquiring either Brad Richards or Mike Ribiero from Dallas.
- The Flyers are interested in Bill Guerin.
Follow me on Twitter for Exclusive news & content!
I am postponing my season preview until contracts are signed that could highly impact the season (Kovalchuk, Savard, Ryan, Price, etc)
More to Follow..